Thursday, September 29, 2011

The Switch

We are making the transition between in-home daycare to a daycare/pre-school type facility. The decision was easy. Evan's little daycare buddy moved away a few weeks ago so he has been alone at his current care provider's home. My kid is very social, let me tell you. He loves to be around people and other kids. So, I started looking into daycare/pre-school's. We got on a waiting list for this really great place where they thought we'd be in by January. I was bummed but thought it was worth the wait.

I got the call this week. THE CALL. There's an opening now. Holy moly.

We did a little visit today. Just a quick one hour visit where I dropped him off and he got to explore the new environment. I had to leave....it hurt my heart to think about how he might feel being left in an unfamilar place. I put him down, he walked away then ran back to hug my legs then walked away again. I left the classroom and felt that sinking feeling and holding back tears.

I came back an hour later. Peeked in on him. Oh. My. Goodness. He was sitting at a little table in a little chair eating snacks with the other kids! It was such an amazing sight. They were all jabbering away and drinking their milk and eating thier crackers. Warmed my heart and solidified my decision to make this switch. The teacher said he did great, didn't even cry.

But. I ruined it. He saw me peeking in and burst into tears and ran to me. He had these big, sad tears. I think I reminded him that I had left him there so it was like a delayed reaction.

I really believe he needs a more stimulating day with social and educational skills. This place will totally achieve that.

I am beyond excited. He'll begin going soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment